Friday, February 25, 2011

S.A.V.E. Update: March Plastics Drive; Montana Students; Legislative News; Recycling boost for Helena Renters; Trash for Trees and more

S.A.V.E. Update: March Plastics Drive; Montana Students; Legislative News; Recycling boost for Helena Renters; Trash for Trees and more

Plastics Drive ~ March 11-14

Our March plastics recycling drive will be March 11-14 from 8am to 6pm each day at 1100 N. Last Chance Gulch (YMCA Parking Lot). We will be collecting type 1 clear bottles (soda bottles), type 1 clear trays (no, black please), type 2 jugs (milk jugs), and type 2 colored bottles (laundry detergent bottles). Please remove all caps, rinse bottles, and sort before arriving. If you need assistance volunteers will be available to help. The community partnership for this event is made possible by the City of Helena, City-County Sanitation, Pacific Steel & Recycling, and General Services of the State of Montana with additional support from Carroll College, Campus Corps, A-1 Rental, and the Montana Beverage Association.

S.A.V.E. in the 2011 Session

HB 594, a bill to incorporate pulverized glass and reclaimed asphalt and concrete into highway construction passed the Montana House on Thursday with a 77-21 vote. The bill will now be transmitted to the Montana Senate.

SB 265, a bill to establish a tax abatement for new residential construction that includes gray water systems, has been heard in Senate Taxation Committee and will probably be voted on next week.

Visit our legislative page to learn more about these bills and contacting your legislators.

Student Section

The second annual Montana Environmental Students Association (MESA) summit will be held March 4-6 at Carroll College, here in Helena. This is a great opportunity for students to network with others from across the state on environmental issues. For more information, please visit or visit the Facebook Event Page. If you are attending or work at any colleges around the state, please download a flier from our website and post them around campus.

The “Green Honors” program at Carroll College is now an official program! There are at least 10 students applying to be graduated with green honors this year. They have been working hard in the Environmental Practicum class to develop criteria for the program to be implemented in the years to come. Congratulations to the class of students who have developed this program!

Carroll College will also be the first in Montana to become a “Tree USA” Campus for their effective management of on campus trees, and their commitment to fostering healthy urban forests. There will be a celebration at Carroll on April 29th in honor of this achievement.

Recycling in Helena for Renters

Currently, you need a transfer station permit to be able to take recycling to the transfer station free of charge, which was only available to homeowners. Now, renters in a 4-plex or smaller within the city limits are eligible to get a recycling permit for their household recyclables!

Permits can be picked up at the City Transfer Station between 8:00 am – 3:30 pm Monday-Friday. Bring proof of residency (i.e. power bill, water bill, cable bill, etc) to get a permit.

Questions please call the City of Helena at 447-8086. Details about the Transfer Station are available at the city page or S.A.V.E.’s Helena Recycling Guide.

Trash for Trees ~ April 16th ~ Global Youth Service Day!

The spring Trash for Trees drive will be held on April 16th which also happens to be Global Youth Service Day. Items collected include newspapers, magazines, glass, cardboard, aluminum and steel cans, and type 1 and 2 plastics, as well as cell phones, printer cartridges, and rechargeable batteries. For more information please visit our Trash for Trees Page. This is a great opportunity for youth to get involved in volunteering in the community, please contact us for more information about volunteering!

Please Donate

S.A.V.E. is a local, effective advocate for recycling and environmental stewardship in Helena and in Montana with on the ground efforts and cutting edge legislative policy. Please take this time to become a member and support our efforts. Visit
to print a membership form or donate online.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Support Recycling in Montana with House Bill 594!


I have good news to share. HB 594, which adds recycled materials into highway projects, has passed out of committee yesterday with bipartisan support. Now the bill goes to the House floor. Please take a moment to contact the legislators in your area to let them know you would appreciate their support of this legislation.

Details follow.


Matt Elsaesser
Executive Director
S.A.V.E. Foundation


Bill Specifics:

HB 594 will incorporate post-consumer glass, old tires, and reclaimed asphalt and concrete into state road projects if the material is available, meets specifications, and is equal or less in cost. This bill allows recycled materials to be used in state, helps to meet our state's recycling challenges, and paves the way (pun intended) for higher-end uses of the material that will benefit our economy.

How to Call [From]:

During the day: Call the Session Information Desk at 406-444-4800 to leave a message for as many as five legislators or one legislative committee per call. Your message will be delivered directly to the legislators. The TTY (Telephone Device for the Deaf) number is 406-444-4462.

The Session Information Desk is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and from 8 a.m. to adjournment on Saturdays.

After hours: Call legislators directly using the telephone numbers provided in the legislative roster and in published legislative guides.

During sessions: You may send a message to a legislator or committee using this online message form.

Friday, February 18, 2011

Over 500 Signatures on Bottle Petition at Carroll!

A group of Green Honors and S.A.V.E. Club students at Carroll College have recently started a petition to add a 5 cent surcharge to all non-reusable cups at bottles sold by campus dining services. The proceeds will go into a fund for sustainable projects on campus. It would help pay for recycling, water filling stations, and student projects. The petition has reached 500 signatures!

Great job to all the hard working students who have helped with this!

City of Helena - Recycling Permits


Tenants currently occupying residentially assessed properties (4-plex or smaller) within the city limits are eligible to get a recycling permit. Permits can be picked up at the City Transfer Station between 8:00 am – 3:30 pm Monday-Friday. One permit will be issued per residential assessment. Tenants must bring proof of residency (i.e. power bill, water bill, cable bill, etc) to obtain a Recycling permit. These permits are to be used for household quantities of recyclables from assessed property only! There will be a charge for materials other than recycling. Items accepted at the Transfer Station for recycling are: used motor oil and used anti-freeze (in 5 gallons or less per visit), steel cans, aluminum cans, newspapers, magazines (nothing thicker than a readers digest), corrugated cardboard, and mixed container glass (no lids). Please do not put any plastic bags in the recycling containers at the Transfer Station. The bags contaminate the material and reduce the value of the commodity. Questions please call

This message has been approved by the City Manager for distribution.